Interwaste's theoretical and practical training components, which are taken in written and practical exams, benefit employees ranging from general landfill staff to supervisors, waste managers and environmental officers.
The courses offer everything from administration and management skills to landfill techniques and safety training. Custom modules can also be structured.
The municipal and private sector have expressed the need for specialised training for their employees in the best practice, for the management of landfill sites, in the aim of providing learners with specialised knowledge regarding waste disposal and to back the theory with practical examples during the short courses. They also serve as a refresher for experience staff and provide updates in legislation and the impact thereof.
Who should attend?
Typical candidates for these courses are persons currently employed by municipalities, mines, utility corporations and private companies, who manage the disposal of waste and landfill sites and who perform related activities relevant to the disposal of waste.
Skills Required (In Addition to basic Literacy Sills):
Landfill - Specific Skills Development
- NQF1 Basic mathematical abilities
- NQF2 Mathematical skills (grade 9) and practical experience of 3 years
- NQF3 Mathematical skills (grade 10) and practical experience of 4 years
- NQF4 Mathematical skills (grade 11) and practical experience of 5 years
In addition to the more general and wide ranging waste management industry training curriculum, a training matrix has been developed to focus specifically on landfill management and operation. This includes:
- The criteria and processes involved in the regulatory permitting of a modern sanitary landfill facility
- Insight into the design & operational plan considerations affecting a proposed landfill
- The personnel responsible for the efficient day-to-day operation of a facility
- The importance of Health and Safety regulations in the workplace
- The landfill facility entrance, security and weighbridge complex
- How facilities deal with the environmental problem of discarded vehicle tyres
- The important role of on-site composting of garden greens waste
- The operation of safe and efficient collection areas for recyclables within the landfill facility
- The precise operational plan that governs every deposit of waste throughout the life of the facility
- Vehicles, plant and heavy equipment found on a modern working landfill